VisitScotland creates a top 10 list of locations in Scotland where you can capture a snap to make it look as if you’re somewhere abroad.
There’s bound to be an epidemic of fear of missing out (FOMO) spreading across the country this summer, as Twitter and Instagram feeds become swamped with pictures of friends and family enjoying themselves on their summer holidays.
For those who are looking for somewhere different to explore, rather than sailing around St Tropez or getting away to the Galapagos, they need look no further. VisitScotland has revealed a list of the top places closer to home where you too can give your friends holiday envy, without even leaving the country, in a newly commissioned list of ‘Top 10 Scottish staycation spots to rival Instagram’s hotspots’.
Whether you’re interested in a walking holiday that trumps the Peruvian Andes, a beach to beat a sandy Greek Island coast, or some ‘Scandi style architecture’ to admire, Scotland really does have something for everyone on Britain’s doorstep, but not many Brits have discovered them yet.
The list consists of 10 different locations right across Scotland – from Shetland to Dumfries and Galloway – that bear an uncanny resemblance to iconic international destinations. For travellers visiting any of these locations, their followers will be desperate to know which exotic spot they’re in and travellers can be all the more smug when it’s revealed it’s only a train ride away.
The Top 10 list in full is:
|Scottish location||Abroad location|
|Glen Coe, Highlands||Rainbow Mountain, Peru|
|Iona, Inner Hebrides||Myrtos Beach, Kefalonia, Greece|
|Seilebost, Isle of Harris, Outer Hebrides||Chaweng, Koh Samui, Thailand|
|The Shore in Leith, Edinburgh||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|Northern Lights, Shetland||Northern Lights in Arctic Norway|
|The SECC, Glasgow||Sydney Opera House, Australia|
|Ramsay Gardens, Edinburgh||Vienna Old Town, Austria|
|Logan Botanic Garden, Dumfries & Galloway||Mandore Gardens, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India|
|The Fairy Pools, Isle of Skye||Kirkjufellsfoss, Iceland|
|Smoo Cave, Durness||Blue Cave, Croatia|
The list has been created to celebrate the fact that Brits are a nation of Staycation lovers, according to a recent survey* and to encourage Brits to discover the beauty in Scotland this summer.
Notes to Editors
- VisitScotland has launched a brand new global campaign, Scotland is Now. To find out more go to www.scotlandisnow.com or join the conversation by using #ScotlandIsNow
- VisitScotland’s Community site was set up for the Scottish public to help, engage and enthuse potential visitors about the country. To get involved go to: www.visitscotland.com/community
- For holiday information on Scotland go to www.visitscotland.com
- To ensure everyone can safely enjoy Scotland’s amazing countryside and landscapes, VisitScotland encourages all visitors to fully respect their surroundings by behaving in a responsible and appropriate way.
- For VisitScotland’s press releases go to http://www.visitscotland.org/media_centre.aspx, for tourism statistics and frequently asked questions go to http://www.visitscotland.org/